News and Events
- 30th Anniversary - Did you know that the Mississippi Writing/Thinking Institute (MWTI) was instrumental in facilitating the set up of writing projects that are located at several universities around our State? MWTI held a reception honoring the ladies that were at the forefront of that effort – Dr. Sandra Burkett Price and Dr. Sherry Swain. Teachers that were impacted by those two ladies and representatives from writing projects from around the State congregated on March 17, 2015 to celebrate the accomplishment of these two innovative educators, as well as the accomplishments made in Mississippi schools in preparing teachers to use best practice instructional strategies to improve student reading, writing and thinking skills.
- 100 Teachers Learn From National Author - Kylene Beers, nationally recognized author of several books on teaching reading, worked with 100 teachers at the Pearl River Resort in Philadelphia, MS in March 2015. Participating educators rated the workshop highly, many saying it was one of the best they had ever attended as they received practical ideas they could use in the classroom immediately.
- Recent Statewide Literacy Leadership - The Mississippi Department of Education contracted with the Mississippi Writing/Thinking Institute (MWTI) to lead implementation of the writing workshops designed to prepare Mississippi K-12 teachers to have students ready for the reading and writing portions of the Statewide English/Language Arts assessments. This series of six face-to-face workshops and four online training sessions gave participating teachers personalized assistance from 2012-2015. MWTI can develop training specific to the specified needs of a district upon request.
- MWTI Spearheads Writing of Teacher Training for MDE - The Mississippi Department of Education chose the Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute, inclusive of all writing projects located at university sites across the State, to create and deliver quality training for teachers in preparation for implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
Teachers attend a series of workshops targeted toward helping them create rigorous classroom assignments for students, with the goal of preparing students for the upcoming Common Core assessments and for post-secondary training and the workplace.
Rural Voices Radio
Listen to previous shows...
Cause for Celebration!
- Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute, Magee High School Honored with 2013 Governor's Award
The Mississippi Writing Thinking Institute and Magee High School were recognized for their collaborative work by the Mississippi Association of Partnerships in Education via presentation with the Governor's Award.
Mississippi State University
75 Morgan Ave.
Starkville, MS 39759
P.O. Box 9509
Mississippi State, MS 39762-9509